Press & Blogs


Are You Prepared for Driving in the EU Post-Brexit?

Are You Prepared for Driving in the EU Post-Brexit?

​With a "no-deal" Brexit a real possibility, you need to make sure you are prepared for the potential impact of many joint agreements around driving across the EU and EEA countries. To prepare for these changes, Marshall Leasing has produced a helpful guide to assist in your preparations. If we exit with an agreement or further delay the implementation of Article 50, nothing will change in the immediate future. New agreements will be forged with the EU and EEA countries and rolled out on a timely basis.

However, if we depart with no agreement, please be aware of the following:


Driving Licence

It's very likely that you will need to carry an International Driving Permit (IDP) as well as your UK driving licence. Application is relatively straightforward, just follow the link below:


Motor Insurance

The consensus suggests you will have to carry a motor insurance Green Card as evidence of cover when driving abroad. Green Cards would be required under EU regulations as proof of insurance if a "no-deal" situation occurs. The documents can be obtained directly from your insurer and we advise you to follow the procedures put in place by your Fleet Manager or Co-ordinator at least a month before you travel. Those who travel without one may be breaking the law. The same requirements will apply to EU motorists travelling to the UK:


Vehicle Registration Documents

If you're taking a vehicle into an EU country for less than 12 months, you will still have to carry your V5c vehicle registration document or if the vehicle is hired/leased, a VE103, which can be obtained from the Hirer. For those operating a Marshall Leasing vehicle, please follow the below link to request a VE103 at least 10 days in advance of your travel date:


Travel to Ireland is unaffected, otherwise, if there is a "no EU exit deal" and you are travelling to one of the Schengen area countries (see link below), passports will have to have a minimum of six months left on them from the date you arrive. Extra months over 10 years (added if you renewed your passport early) may not count towards the six months. Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania may have different entry requirements:

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

EHICs issued in the UK will no longer be valid and you will lose the right to access state-provided healthcare for free or at a reduced rate during a temporary visit. You should check with your travel insurance policy for excess limits and excess limits and exceptions to cover.


Number Plates and GB Stickers

If you've got Euro-plates then you will also need a GB sticker unless you replace the Euro-plates with plates that incorporate 'GB' without the EU flag. 


If you require any additional guidance on how to travel safely in Europe post-Brexit, whatever the outcome, please feel free to give us a call on 01480 414541, or visit our website here.


MARSHALL LEASING LTD is a company registered in England and Wales under company number 156897, whose registered office is situated at Bow Bells House, 1 Bread Street, London EC4M 9BE